Sunday, February 18, 2018

Quiet

* Edited to say this is a words only post, no pictures sorry.  I'm blogging on a newly-gifted new fangled tablet, and have no idea how to add photos or links. *

.... and cool. It does feel strange not to be constantly hot and sweaty, but very pleasant.

I'm sitting on the backsteps of a tiny terrace house in Sydney's inner west.  Actually a surpringly large, long backyard for such a narrow footprint.  It's a little overgrown and unloved, and I'm enjoying imagining what I might do with it if it was mine. Someone nearby has chickens. My favourite sound to wake to.

The house's......an airbnb....resident cat has come to join me. When I opened the back door to check out the day and my surroundings, this lovely sleek tabby made himself known, and then was very determined to get in. I didn't know there was a resident cat, so we had a friendly tussle for a bit at the door, me thinking it best not to let him in, and him very determined. That's when I noticed the bowls in the kitchen.....aah, he was right and I was wrong. He's very forgiving though.

I'm here having a weekend with my son and his partner. Their unit is too tiny to add a 3rd person to the mix, and an airbnb a couple of streets away is a good compromise. I'm here so we can talk about Future Plans and Housing Options. I'm not keen to stay living on a flood plain, and so we've been nutting out options.....theirs and mine.  I've been thinking about this for sometime, but it's early days yet to make any definite decisions.

So we've been enjoying the  delicious and varied eating delights of Newtown, drinking lots of tea, and just tossing ideas around. L is off riding this morning.....he's a keen and competitive mountain biker, R is enjoying a sleep-in and a bit later I'm going to catch the bus and meet up with a fellow blogger for morning tea and to give her a textile piece for an art installation she's doing.  More on that when I'm home again on my laptop, where I can add photos and links without hurting my brain.

Then we'll have a leisurely lunch, somewhere near the water I think, and then home again in time for the regular routine....dog walking, feeding everyone, checking on the chooks and setting back into my usual routine.

Till next time.......







10 comments:

  1. Mmm, cool does sound nice, but I'm enjoying the sound of the rainforest birds too much to wish I was elsewhere. I hope you arrive at a housing decision that you are both happy with; I do worry about you living so close to a river that becomes a raging torrent at the drop of a hat, but your home is so very lovely... A tough decision, but I know you'll weigh all your options carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your holiday is sounding delightful, glad you're enjoying it so much. I agree, the river thing is a worry, and I love it there, so yes, tough. But as Celi would say....excellent! a solution to be found :)

      Delete
  2. I love waking up to the sound of birds and roosters. It sounds like a nice quiet neighborhood.
    I don't write blog posts on the iPad because it doesn't show the entire post in compose format. So once I add photos I can't add anything underneath it. :)
    Hope you have a nice weekend with family, and a safe trip back home, Nanette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't do blog posts again on the tablet, too hard, but my son had just given it to me and it was so novel to be able to communicate immediately I just had to have a go. Thanks Nil, we all had a wonderful time.

      Delete
  3. Wow you have some serious things to think about Nanette... good luck with that.
    Enjoy your change-of-scenery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, big thoughts, Anthea, not quick or easy decisions. I love being in big cities as much as I love my peaceful countryside.

      Delete
  4. so good to meet you Nanette and your beautiful talisman of love for our beautiful broken world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed our morning together so much,Mo, meeting you and Rod....and the cake of course. I was very happy to pass the talisman into your keeping.

      Delete
  5. I'm the same with my Ipad like Nil above says, I much prefer the laptop for blogging, but must blog myself in any case, so you've reminded me to get my finger out!
    Good idea to have a residence rethink, even though moving again will be a faff, your safety and sanity is worth too much to just make do. Hope you can sort something out, meanwhile enjoy the company and surrogate cat lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lyn, please do move that finger, I miss hearing about your fun days. I had such a good weekend in Sydney, and son and I had plenty of time to toss things around, and come up with lots of ideas and options.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome