Monday, January 1, 2018

A finish and a start

New Year's Day has dawned cloudy and sullen, but hot. Every day since Christmas we've been treated to nasty storms, thankfully spared the hail and strong winds suffered in nearby towns, but no less scary and destructive. We've been treated to amazing colours and cloud formations, and spectacular displays of lightning.


Coming home, up the range, and as the trees opened out, I saw this storm racing across the valley.  I stopped long enough for a picture, then raced it home, got the car away just as the heavens opened up.
From my back verandah

Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature
Posted with kind permission of  a neighbour who took this one looking down the lane to the south. My house is to the right behind these houses. 

Christmas here was quiet and pleasant, spent with the good company of loved ones, good food.....most of which I didn't have to make......and quiet times just trying to stay cool.

You'll all be pleased to know I finished R's quilt, last minute sewing on Christmas Eve ensured it was washed, dried and under the tree ready for Christmas morning.  It was received with squeals and sighs of surprise and delight.
Finished!!
I was really pleased with how it turned out, it came together just as I'd pictured, and apart from 40cm of fabric I bought for the binding, it was all either scraps or strips cut from my stash.
I crosshatched quilted it with this lovely shiny pink, which sank into all the colours beautifully.

I backed it with  this dark pinky red, it doesn't show in the pic, but it has tasteful burnished gold coin spots on it.

***

So another year has gone by, with it's highs and lows, with good things to remember and other things best put away and if not forgotten, then learned from, resolved or a measure of peace found.

Now we head into 2018, with all it's surprises and potential. May it bring health and happiness, joy and peace, creativity, and safety and shelter for all.

Paysage arc-en-ciel by illustratrice-lalex
Till next time......


17 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you, Nanette. Wow that is a fantastic photo of that storm. How scary it must have been. So pleased you escaped any damage. It is so very muggy here. Not sure if we will get a storm but they have been unpredictable the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Chel, and you too. That storm coming in looked so menacing, I wasn't sure what it was going to unleash, luckily no hail for us, my big mountain (Mt Warning) often protects me from a lot of nasties. You've been getting a lot of storms up your way, and we have one forecast for later today. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New to you & yours!
    the quilt turned out beautifully! gorgeous colouring!
    wow those storm clouds look awesome!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy New Year to you too Selina. Glad you like the quilt, thanks, I'm more than pleased with it.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Nanette! It's a hot and muggy day here and dark clouds are gathering with storm forecast for later today. Your photos of the storm clouds and lightning are really striking. I also like your quilt, beautiful colours! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you Meg. Seems to be a lot of storms around at the moment, hot and muggy here too. Glad you like my quilt, the colours really suit d-i-l.

      Delete
  5. What a stunning picture of the cloud formations! The year went out with a natural bang or two then at your end
    and heres hoping this next year has far less upheaval for you and yours. Not at all surprised there were squeals of delight, that quilt looks sumptuous and the colours are beautiful. So pleased you made the deadline but I never doubted you for a moment girl lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been some amazing clouds about, I could do a whole post just of them! Yep, even some NYE events were cancelled because of nature's fireworks. Sumptuous is a lovely word to describe the quilt, thankyou....and for your faith in me :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, spectacular weather! No need to go to Higgins Storm Chasing, you had a ringside view. I can quite see why it was a bit scary, though; that lightning was altogether too close for comfort. Gorgeous, brilliant, sari-coloured quilt, and amazing to think it was all scraps or stash. The backing was inspired too. Good to hear you've survived the festive season without meltdown. Stay cool, stay creative, and Happy New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, eat your heart out Higgins:) Thanks for the gorgeous and brilliant words about the quilt, has to be one of my favourites I think. I'm just sorry I didn't have it around longer to stroke and admire. Happy New Year to you and the mister as well, may it bring all you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Nanette.
    The quilt is beautiful. The colors are so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nil, and wishing you all the best for 2018. I was aiming for vibrant and it's nice you think it's beautiful, thankyou.

      Delete
  9. The cloud photo is stunning, if a bit scary and the quilt is gorgeous, I bet the reaction you got from the recipient was worth all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it looked like a dragon,roaring in! You're right about the reaction to the quilt, I'd make her many more to hear those squeals of surprise and delight.

      Delete
  10. Happy 2018n to you Nanette!
    So glad you were spared the destruction of the hail etc... it can be scary for sure.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Anthea, all the best to you and yours too. There's been some really big hail along the east coast, so yes, very lucky.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful storm pics. All the best for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome